Pest insects and burrowing mammals can be a challenge to deal with through most of the year. Summer is hardly an exception, especially with the way insects thrive in hot and humid environments. And while pests can be annoying when you’re outside and in their element, they’re the last thing you want to see when you’re inside the safety of your own home. However, that’s exactly where pests can end up if you don’t take the right steps to keep them out.
You won’t keep insects like ants or mosquitoes from living on or passing through your yard, but there are steps you can take to keep them from thinking of your house like a home.
- Remove sources of standing water like birdbaths, old tires, and clogged drains. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in still water and can make life miserable if they’re breeding nearby.
- Keep any woodpiles away from your house. Termites live on dead wood, and if they’re already coming close to your house to find food they may explore just that little bit further.
- Maintain your yard. Overgrown bushes and trees give small mammals highways to your house, and they find it easier to hide in the grass when it’s taller.
- Don’t tempt pests with old food. If you have a compost heap, keep it away from the side of your house along with your wood pile. If you throw away any extra food, even if it’s rotting, make sure the bag it’s in is closed tight and try not to put it in your garbage bin until just before it’s time to collect.
- Keep your kitchen clean. Brush or vacuum up the crumbs that fall, keep the counters clean and try not to let any food fall between the cracks. The more food that falls, the more things can live under your kitchen.
- Maintain the seals in your home. This means weatherproofing strips, screens, and more. Pests can’t bother you indoors if they can’t get in.
- Make use of waterproofing seals and fix any leaky pipes. Water is essential for all kinds of life, and pests can’t survive without any moisture.
Get The Help You Need
If your home already has a pest problem, there’s a good chance you’ll need to bring in some experts if you want to get rid of them for good. Life is tenacious, and once a pest gets a foothold in your house it can be very hard to remove. That’s why experts like Tech Force Pest & Termite Control exist: we have the experience and tools it takes to get rid of pests for good.
There’s a lot you can do to keep pests out of your home, and many of them improve the look and the quality of your house at the same time. Even so, pests can get inside by piggybacking on pets or by hitching a ride from a hotel bed. But even if it’s too late to keep pests out, it’s never too late to remove them, and we can help.